Sunday, October 21, 2007

Our Weekend.

Julie and I traveled on Friday, Oct. 19th, down to the lower, southeast corner of Idaho to Jeff's game. Along the way, we had the rainbow at the right skirt and follow us for 15 to 20 miles. I have never seen a rainbow with more vibrant and brilliant colors. I wish the picture could portray the true colors and intensity it had. During our drive, we ran into bright sunshine, rain, snow, hail, and a slushy mixture of all the above. It was the first time either Julie or I had traveled across the barren stretch of desert out in the middle of Central Idaho. I'm not sure I have ever seen a more desolate, dead place. I can understand why the Federal Government built nuclear testing facilities out there. They could have a massive accident and not kill anyone or anything - there is already nothing living out there.

On the trip we traveled through Blackfoot, Pocatello, and the Portneuf Mountains. Pocatello was beautiful; situated in a valley with high mountains surrounding it. I can understand why the settlers stopped there. The Portneuf Mountains were breathtaking with a lite covering of frost and snow. The little valley and town of Bancroft had once been a nice, prosperous rail road shipping center. The downtown area had wodnerful little shops, all closed now and completely run down. When the railroad died, so had the town. The town is situated 5 miles off the main highway - so if someone has no specific reason to travel to Bancroft, chances are, they never will.

The oldest commercial building in town was once a hotel, grocery store, clothing store, and ice cream/malt shop. Its architecture was wonderful. Inside the shops, the ceilings still had the pressed and molded tin tiles of the late 1890's or early 1900's. We went into the ice cream/malt shop, which is operated by the son and daughter-in law of the original owners. It was easily the grossest, dirtiest, filthiest store I have ever walked into.

There was a thick layer of dust and dirt on everything. I looked on the shelves and I saw a bottle of Vaseline Hair Tonic. I can remember seeing similar bottles on my Grandfather Ellingson's bathroom sink. (I looked the product up, Vaseline quit making it in 1966.) She has had that bottle on her shelf since at least 1966. There was enough dirt and dust for it to have sat that long, easily.

Jeff's team lost the game. It was a good game and could have gone either way all the way to the end. That makes his team 0-8 now, with honestly, not a very good chance at winning next week.

Last week's game was in Murtaugh. Like Bancroft, Murtaugh was a railroad center, which is also now situated about 5 miles off the main highway. Whereas Bancroft has kept some commerce and so their houses are at least clean and kept up, Murtaugh is a run-down, hovel infested, mess. I included a picture of a house currently on the market there. I love the pink and I love the fact that it is neither a trailer home or a house - it is a hybrid of both.

At least the drive to Murtaugh was enjoiable as we passed through Twin Falls. I believe Twin, (as it is known here,) is one of the most beautiful cities around. As you enter into Twin from the north, you cross the bridge over the Snake River Canyon. I'm convinced that the pioneers were trudging along the trail and came to the canyon's rim, looked right, looked left, and said, "Damnit Ma, here's where we're staying. I ain't a crossin' that!" And so as the travelers kind of piled up, they made a city.

1 comments:

Barkley's said...

You should write a book dad! And I agree Twin is so beautiful and I am so sad that we have not found anything near it! Either that or in Tri Cities which is equally as beautiful. Thank you for sharing your trip with us I love you!