Friday, February 8, 2008

Our Recent Adventures.

The entire State of Idaho is getting so much snow right now that even the long-time Idaho residents are amazed at how much is dropping.I thought I would include some picture of the City of Ketchum in the snow. To the right is driving down 2nd Avenue (the street Engelmann, Inc. Office are on,) looking straight north at the Warm Springs area. I love when there is this much snow on the mountains how they look as if they were fluffy pillows. (Forgive me for sounding so stupid, but that's exactly what they look like.)

This is the first place I have ever been in my life that has an avalanche warning sign posted on the road. This sign is in the Warm Springs area of Ketchum. There were, in fact, three avalanches two weeks ago in Warm Springs. One that was large enough that it crossed the road and filled the road with snow, ice, trees, and debris that was 8' high. One of Engelmann's customers lost the garage doors and outside doors on the side of their house, along with filling their garage with snow and pinning their cars in the garage for two days.
To the right is a picture of a house that Engelmann is completing right now. I know I say this about every home that Engelmann has built, but this one is possibly my favorite. The owners did the interior designa nd decorations themselves. It is has clean, simple lines. They followed the Craftsman style very, very faithfully and the house and it's minimal use of wood moldings makes the house just beyond elegant. It feels warm, cozy and somehow soothing inside. I wish I could take everyone through it as you would all love the house. Also note how deep the snow is on the roof. That's some serious snow, in case you didn't already notice that.

The last picture is looking westward out onto the Camas Prairie from Fairfield last Friday afternoon. A huge storm was coming in and the wind was drifting the snow deep over the road. Tucked against the mountains to the west is the little community of Hill City. (If you remember, I wrote about it last Fall and included a picture of a prairie log home on the first of the Abandoned Idaho
Series.) It almost looks like a lunar landscape. I love the dark and ominous clouds out on the western horizon.




1 comments:

Danna said...

What a beautiful place to live!! I love this last picture. Maybe you should get into photography!! I would definently put that in your book.